Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Symmetry Mittens

Materials:
- Tempera Paint
- Paintbrushes
- Construction Paper
- Mitten Tracer
- Scissors

Review symmetry with students and find examples around the room. I also drew a dotted line on the board with half a shape on one side, and asked for students to volunteer and fill out the second half on the other side of the dotted line.

Fold construction paper in half. Place straight edge of mitten on fold and trace. Cut out. You should have two mitten shapes that are still connected. 


Paint one half. Fold blank side over and press. Open up to see symmetrical print!

5 comments:

  1. fresh idea for symmetry... i likey! also like the printing aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to do this with Kinders. Love the symmetry idea with mittens. Fun! What type of paper did you use and did you emphasize that they work quickly so as to not dry before transferring? I find that tempera dries fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Symmetry project! I think like Jennifer I will try this with my Kinders since 1st grade has already done symmetry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used plain old construction paper, and rather than emphasizing to paint fast, I actually emphasized to use a lot of paint. Some of my Kinders get lost in their own little world when they paint, so rather than rushing them I just said to not be afraid to use more paint than usual.. and of course when they opened them up, they could always touch it up if they wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great way to do an overdone activity!!!! LOve it!

    ReplyDelete