Thursday, March 7, 2013

3D Weaving

Materials:
- 2" Construction Paper Strips
- Glue Sticks
- Rulers
- Pencils
- 10" x 10" White Drawing Paper 

I saw this really great lesson at Kids Artists. Even though she included directions, I still can not figure out how she did these so perfectly?? I'm hoping someone can enlighten me : ). Anywho... here was my approach:

1. I taught the kids how to draw a 2" grid. 


 2. I'm not even sure I know how to explain how I started the weaving, but the first two rows looked like this:


3. That was repeated in the next rows, alternating of course.

4. Then we basically did the "weft" the same way.


5. My kids (and I) had a hard time making sure the humps were evenly bumped... They still turned out pretty neat though, and when you hang them all up they're very cool!








Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to try this after I saw it on Kids Artists blog. I never could figure out exactly how she did it so perfectly! Yours look great!

    :)Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have explained this brilliantly, thank you. A great alternative to regular weaving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having trouble! Did you glue stick the weft pieces the same way? It was very hard to get the glue stick in and under the pieces. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your great instructions! It helped a lot! As I was making it, I had an idea to help the kids make the humps more consistent. My friend and I made a very amateur video to show it to my students. Here is the link if you're interested: https://youtu.be/rpUJrc4k3VE

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm using toilet paper tubes as place holders. It seems to be working.

    ReplyDelete