- Wooden Skewers
- Glue Sticks
- Glue Bottles
- Canvas (or hard another hard surface)
1. Design a simple image onto canvas.
2. Paint in design. Although the entire canvas will be covered with magazine reeds, a simple base coat of paint hides any peeking cracks and crevices left over from any magazine imperfections.
3. Start making magazine reeds in the colors you need! Good step-by-step directions can be seen here.
4. Trim down to size.
5. Glue down onto canvas.
* A couple pointers:
1. Gluing down the reeds in different directions for different parts of your painting really make areas stand out, as opposed to every single reed going in the same direction, i.e.. horizontally. Even when they are different colors, going in the same direction tend to make them blend together, losing the shape of the object you are trying to create.
2. When you are using a page of a certain color, but there happens to be a tiny border around the page, you need to trim that off. Rolling the reed with that little trim drastically changes the color of the reed (it will usually turned out striped), and then that reed is pretty much wasted.