Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Micrographic Thumbprints

Materials:
- White Drawing Paper
- Tracing Paper
- Pencils
- Erasers
- Extra Fine Point Sharpie
- Skinny Markers (optional)
- Ink for Thumbprints



1. Take thumbprint from each student. Scan, enlarge and print for each student.

Your print out will most likely be a little pixelated. Ask students to trace over the major lines and the general direction of the pattern of their thumbprint.



2. Using either a light box or window,  trace those lines onto tracing paper.





 3. Now trace that onto "good paper." I know it seems a little repetitive, but it would be too hard to trace the major lines from the printout right onto good paper because of the other distracting pixels.



 4. Either on or around the lines, fill in with words. I had the students write down a list of 40 positive characteristics about themselves to use as a reference. They also had the option of writing out a description about themselves.



 5. Trace over words with sharpie or markers.








You might also like my Micrography Portraits lesson.

5 comments:

  1. we tried this early this year but whenever I went to enlarge the prints on the photocopier I just couldn't get a clear enough picture for the kids to use. I like the idea of using a scanner. I have to test that method out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is nice blog........
    You can share more info about Micrographic Equipment and Microfilm CD and Paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking for Digital Microfilm visits leading online store for all types of Microfilm Equipment. We are leading seller of Digital Microfilm, Digital Film Scanner and Microfiche Reader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your art lessons are well written and thoroughly explain the process. Thank you. I am an elementary teacher that loves to find art activities that I can integrate with writing and other curricular areas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rubbed pencil on paper and had clients rub their finger on it to get the graphite on the finger print ridges. I then took scotch tape and placed it over the finger print and removed it, placing the print/tape onto a sheet of paper. I then took a high resolution picture with my android and then emailed the pictures to myself so I could print them out. It worked really well. Much better than trying to enlarge it.

    ReplyDelete